Jury Awards $1.9 Million to Woman After Exploding Ecig Leaves Her With Permanent Scars
In March 2013, California native Jennifer Ries and her husband were driving to the airport when the unthinkable happened. Ries plugged her VapCigs ecigarette into the charger and the battery exploded, shooting hot metal all over her and catching her dress on fire. Her husband acted quickly and threw his iced coffee on the flames to put them out, but Ries had already suffered extreme burns.
With painful second degree burns covering her hands, thighs, and buttocks, she was forced to miss her flight and head instead to urgent care and later a burn clinic. Ries filed a liability lawsuit against VapCigs after the accident and this week the court deliberated for six days before the jury issued a final verdict. The woman was awarded $1.9 million in damages.
Ries’ attorney, Gregory Bentley, pointed out that the VapCigs products were made in China, but ultimately the company was responsible for the safety of the products they put onto the market. “If you’re going to place a product in the marketplace, you have to make sure it’s safe for the consumer,” Bentley said. “If you don’t, you’re at your own peril.”
After the accident, Ries stopped vaping, but she still has scars to remind her of the horrible ordeal. While we never want to hear of exploding ecig accidents, it’s an important reminder to all vapers to choose your ecig carefully. Sometimes it’s tempting to buy a knock off or a cheap Chinese-made ecig as the local service station, but don’t do it. If you really want to stay safe and enjoy a better vaping experience, you need to invest in a good ecig, preferably made in the United States. Take the time to do your homework, read reviews, and choose your ecig wisely to avoid terrible accidents like this one.